Thursday, October 2, 2008

Why this blog

I've started this blog in order to share my thoughts on Proposition T, known as RIFT, that will appear on the November ballot in Santa Monica. I believe the measure to be naive and it will not accomplish what it proposes, namely to reduce traffic. But if it were that harmless, i.e., it simply won't work, that might not be such a big deal. However, I also believe that this measure will, ultimately, cost the City significant revenue, which will impact the quality of services our City delivers as well the revenue to our schools. In other words, it won't reduce congestion, and it will cost the City money, a Lose-Lose.

Like many of you reading this, I have been frustrated by organizations like the Friends of Sunset Park that send out mass emails with erroneous information, but provide no opportunity for rebuttle or intelligient discourse. I hope this blog provides an opportunity to rectify that situation.

However, I want to establish some rules for commenting. Personal attacks will not be permitted. Questioning anyone's motives either for or against the measure are not part of an informed debate. I want an intelligient discourse, not one filled with name-calling. I am interested in excerpts of scholarly articles if you'd like to send them. Hopefully, we can make lemonade out of this lemon of a measure by having a more robust discussion than is provided elsewhere in this community.

My next posting will list the reasons why I am against the measure.

No comments:

 
Site Meter Add to Technorati Favorites